The Houston Apartment Association participates annually in the Channel 13 Share Your Holidays Food drive for the Houston Food Bank.
The drive is during the month of November. Food should be dropped off by Wednesday, December 7.
HAA would like to challenge All Regional Property Managers to lead the way in our first ever competition food drive. Can your portfolio collect the most food? The competition will run from November 1 to December 7th. Supplier member companies are also welcome collect and donate.
The winning portfolio will receive prizes and a team photo will be taking for the ABODE magazine. Lots of other prizes will be given to participating portfolios.
Are you game? If so, tell us your management company, number of properties participating and contact information. We also ask that you create a team name.
STEPS FOR COLLECTING:
- Identify central and highly visible areas, and designate them as your official display/food collection locations.
- Decorate a display/food collection area and a food box to draw attention to collection & to make your food drive more fun.
- Place a flier at each resident's door or in your newsletter or place a flier in the mailbox area to announcing you will be collecting food during November and where to donate.
- Collect as many food items and as much cash as possible.
- Drop off all donations no later than December 7th to either
** Brook Furniture and Valet Waste will be available to assist with pick up. Let HAA know if you need help.HAA
The Houston Food Bank the Montgomery County Food Bank and the Rescue Bank.
Rescue Bank Most Needed Items
Food Bank Most Needed Items
Here are some basic ideas for collecting food:
- Set up a collection box at the leasing or corporate office. The Houston Food Bank has collection boxes or you can decorate your own box.
- Place a flier at each resident’s door or in your newsletter to announcing you will be collecting food during November.
- Visit your local grocery store and ask for a supply of paper bags which you can use to place at each apartment door asking resident’s to fill the bag with non-perishable food.
- Place a flier in the mailbox area announcing the food drive and where/how to donate.
Last year HAA members and residents collected 50,000 pounds of food. Please contact Susan Hinkley at 713-595-0313 or email@example.com to participate.
HAA first began collecting food in 1983 and the Houston Food Bank lists HAA as one of the top 25 donors to their organization.