Posted by Government Affairs
on Thursday, May 27, 2010
Be smart this summer, conserve your water and save money!
On June 1, the City of Houston is raising water rates for apartment residents.
Water costs could increase as much as 30% - 40% per month, depending on your water usage, effective June 1, 2010. You should receive your increased water bill by mid-summer.
If you have any questions, please contact your management office or the City of Houston at 3-1-1.
You could reduce your water bill by taking steps to conserve water.
Water Conservation tips:
• Turning off water while brushing your teeth saves 25 gallons/month.
• Turning off water while shaving saves up 300 gallons/month.
• Turning off water while washing your hair saves up to 150 gallons/month.
• Shortening your shower by a minute or two saves up to 150 gallons/month.
• Soak pots and pans instead of letting water run while you scrape them clean.
• Running your clothes washer and dishwasher only when full saves up to 1,000 gallons/month.
• Teach your children to turn off faucets tightly after each use.
For more helpful tips, check out these links:
Residential Water Saving Techniques - from the EPA.
Saving Water Partnership - a Seattle based website with tips on conserving water.
Future Friendly - a program that helps consumers save energy, conserve water and reduce waste.