Working in conjunction with Houston Apartment Association members and staff, the Houston Community College has established a property management program, and the Houston Apartment Foundation is offering six annual scholarships for individuals not presently employed in the property management industry.
The HCC Property Management Certificate program incorporates key areas of study for multifamily real estate professionals:
- Multifamily Property Management
- Property Management Software
- Landlord/Tenant Law
- Leadership Skills
- Hands-on Internship Experience
About the Program
In addition to property management training, the program offers courses in landlord/tenant law and leadership. The robust leadership component includes business writing; conflict management and resolution; customer service; ethics, integrity and legal issues in the workplace; and time management. The most exciting component, however, is software training.
HAA and HCC were able to work with RealPage to incorporate its software and training curriculum into the program. RealPage has a precedent for working with similar programs. The company already has institutional agreements with Florida State University and has had great success with that effort.
Along with the specific software training, the program also offers students the opportunity for real-world experience. The program incorporates a 64-hour property management internship giving students the ability to put in practice the skills, concepts and theories they learn through the coursework.
The program requires 144 hours of study, is priced at $995 and leads to a "Marketable Skills Achievemet Award" and certificate from HCC.
For more information on this program, please reference the website at HCC.
Scholarship for Property Management Career Development
- The Houston Apartment Foundation will pay 100 percent of the total cost of the Houston Community College Property Management Certificate program.
- Individuals must successfully complete, in full, a scholarship application that demonstrates a commitment and researched interest in a career in property management.
- Each applicant must submit two letters of recommendation; special consideration will be given to candidates who submit at least one of these letters from an HAA member company representative.
- Applicants are required to respond to an essay question in a minimum of 500 words.
- This scholarship was created with the goal of cultivating new talent and skills through higher education to the benefit of the apartment industry; candidates currently employed in the industry or those possessing more than six months of industry experience within the last five years are not eligible.
Click Here to Download the Scholarship Application
Submissions should be sent by fax or mail to:
Houston Apartment Foundation
Education Advisory Council
4810 Westway Park Blvd.
Houston, TX 77041