Energy efficiency tips from our member, Direct Energy
Posted by Government Affairs
on Tuesday, June 22, 2010
To reduce your energy usage this summer, check out some of the these efficiency tips and hints from Direct energy.
- Use your energy-saving light bulbs that can last up to ten times longer than a normal bulb and use up to 75 percent less energy.
- Install motion sensors on external lights.
Hot Water and Taps
-Insulate your water heater pipes. Your water will stay hotter longer.
-Take showers instead of baths.
-Avoid washing dishes in hot running water. Instead, fill the sink halfway and scrub away.
-Repair dripping hot water taps immediately.
- Microwaves use substantially less energy than ovens.
- Defrost your freezer regularly. When ice builds up, your freezer uses more electricity.
- Keep your fridge at least three quarters full for maximum efficiency.
- Wash laundry with full loads, in order to use the machine less.
- Use your dryer for consecutive loads. The built-up heat means less energy spent.
- When looking for new appliances, look for ENERGY STAR labeled appliances. These products are more energy efficient.
- Put the lids on pots when boiling water to save energy and cook food quicker.
For more information visit directenergy.com